Monday, July 18, 2011

My journey

This journey of mine started way back in March 2011.  I fell while taking a foster pug to the vets office.  Right hard on my right knee.  Man what pain.  Iced it at work and really was a bad scene.  Several dr visits, xrays, ultrasound and even had it drained twice as the bursa sac was leaking into my leg.  3rd time I had it drained - lucky me got a staph infection! 

I recovered from that and went on to see a ortho surgeon in franconia nh at the Alpine Clinic.  My simple surgery to remove the bursa sac and back on my feet totally healed in 2 weeks was a farce!!!  The severe edema I have had since March made recovery very hard.  I had to leave work and focus on getting through pt and get the swelling down.  I have a hose I have to wear for probably 6 mos as knee is still swollen. 

So I pushed through knowing SOONER or later, darin and I would be on our bikes FINALLY.  We bought new mtn bikes and full gear in Feb before I fell.  There were a lot of times I just cried in anger and frustration over everything happening wrong in this recovery from day one!  Through it all were my amazing friends, my loving husband and my parents that postponed their vacation in order to take me to my appts while Darin was with the boys in Pittsburgh. 

So last Friday I begged my pt gal Talia to let me bike in Stowe- on flat trails there.  Sure JUST DONT FALL!  Darin and I loaded up and headed out last Sat am.  It was SUCH an amazing ride.  it was starting to get busy in the end.  But we were so thrilled that I could do it and knee was fine!!   we biked 11 miles that day!! hooray we did it honey!  here I am after we are done. 

On our way back just beside the trail was 3 baby skunks trying to get into the taller grass.. no momma around:( I can only hope they were old enough to survive.  But what a blast- soooo picturesque and amazing to be out in nature!

1 comment:

  1. it is amazing how life can be totally changed in a split second. i have followed you through facebook and just so admire your "cussedness". you have not let this keep you down. it has been a real encouragement for me, as i struggle w/health issues and orthopedic "junk". keep on peddling.

    ReplyDelete